There can be no better snack than having babka bread with jam or cream and a hot cup of tea. The best thing about babka bread is that you can have them in the morning and the evening. While consuming babka bread fresh from the baker’s oven is always advisable, you can store them because they can stay delicious for up to five days from their purchase. If you wish to keep them longer, you must explore other options. Can you refrigerate babka bread?
Can You Freeze Babka?
Yes, you can freeze babka bread and consume them later without compromising the flavor and taste.
How Do You Freeze Babka Bread?
You can freeze babka bread at various stages.
Freeze Unbaked Braided Babka
It is possible to freeze unbaked braided babka and use it later for baking it.
- Wait for the babka dough to rise. Then, fill it and braid it.
- Double wrap in plastic wrap. Alternatively, you can have a single wrap and place the unbaked braided babka in a ziplock bag.
- Place the babka in the aluminum tin that you will use for baking it.
- Push the tin inside the freezer and freeze the unbaked braided babka.
Freeze Baked Babka
Remove the unbaked braided babka and bake it in the oven.
- Remove the baked babka bread and place it on a wire rack to cool to room temperature. The wire rack is ideal because it allows a comfortable airflow from all directions enabling the babka bread to cool uniformly. We do not advise freezing warm babka bread because the condensation during the freezing activity can affect the bread’s texture and make it soft and mushy.
- Use a cellophane wrap to cover your babka bread. Tie a ribbon and ensure no scope for any air contamination.
- Alternatively, you can wrap the bread properly using aluminum foil and place it inside a ziplock freezer bag. Seal the bag properly after expelling the air.
- Note down the freezing date and place it inside the freezer for freezing.
How Long Can The Baked Babka Bread Last?
Generally, baked babka bread remains frozen fresh for one month. But, we recommend consuming the bread within two to three weeks of freezing it.
How Do You Defrost The Frozen Babka Bread?
You can defrost the frozen babka bread in two ways.
- Remove the frozen babka bread from the freezer and place it inside the freezer with its wrapping intact. The difference in the temperature between the freezer and the fridge allows the frozen babka to defrost naturally. The procedure takes time. So, we advise starting the procedure overnight to get the defrosted babka ready the following morning.
- You have an alternative in defrosting the babka bread in the microwave. However, please note removing the wrapping and placing it on the microwave-safe plate. You can keep a cup of water beside the bread to prevent it from drying inside the microwave. Use the defrost settings on the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds intervals until the babka defrosts thoroughly.
How To Reheat The Babka?
We recommend having the babka bread warm. So, the ideal reheating option is the microwave. However, you can also reheat the babka on a hot plate, stovetop, or toaster oven. Please note that the babka bread should remain soft, and the chocolate inside is a bit melted. So, you can reheat the babka on low heat until the bread becomes warm. If you reheat using the toaster oven, we recommend baking it at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about five to eight minutes.
Can You Refreeze Babka?
We do not recommend refreezing babka because it damages the babka’s texture and makes it mushy and unpalatable.
Can You Refrigerate Babka Bread?
There is no need to refrigerate babka because it can remain fresh for four to five days on the kitchen shelf. If you need to store it further, you can freeze it to stay fresh for up to three weeks. Refrigerating the babka bread can result in moisture loss and make it dry.
Can You Freeze Babka Dough?
Yes, freezing babka dough is possible. It can remain fresh for up to three months.
Can You Freeze Chocolate Babka?
Yes, it is possible to freeze chocolate babka. However, it is advisable to cool the baked chocolate babka to room temperature before freezing it. Wrapping the babka tight is crucial to prevent exposure to moisture.
Can You Freeze Cheese Babka?
Cheese babka freezes well. But we recommend defrosting only when you are ready to serve and eat it.
Can You Freeze Fresh Babka?
It is possible to freeze fresh babka in the method described above.
Can You Freeze Raw Babka?
Yes, you can freeze raw babka. However, we advise you to wrap the babka in a few layers of plastic wrap to prevent exposure to air and moisture. Additional protection through aluminum foil is also advisable.
Can You Freeze Homemade Babka?
Yes, you can freeze homemade babka. Please cool the babka to room temperature. Otherwise, the babka can turn mushy because of condensation during the freezing process.
Can You Freeze Store-Bought Babka?
It is possible to freeze store-bought babka. If the bread is warm when you get home, wait for it to cool to room temperature before freezing it the way described here.
Can You Freeze Apple Cinnamon Babka?
It is possible to freeze apple cinnamon babka and keep it fresh for three weeks. However, exposure to moisture can damage the apple cinnamon babka. Hence, we advise wrapping it tightly in multiple foil or plastic wrap layers.
Can You Freeze Breads Bakery Babka?
Breads Bakery babka is a store-bought babka. So, it is possible to freeze Breads Bakery babka the same way you freeze store-bought babka.
Can You Refrigerate Breads Bakery Babka?
Breads Bakery does not recommend refrigerating their babkas. Instead, they advise storing the babka at room temperature using the reseal tab provided on the back.
Babka is a delicious snack that can make your taste buds yearn for more. So, it is natural that you have more babka at home than you can consume in one eating session. Though you can keep babka on the kitchen shelf for around five days, we recommend freezing it if you wish to preserve it longer.
We have discussed the freezing procedure in detail. So, can you freeze babka? Yes, you can, and you know how to do it.