Quick Answer : Can You Freeze Fish Cakes?
Yes. You can freeze fish cakes because they freeze beautifully, despite the presence of challenging items like mayonnaise. The exciting aspect of freezing fish cakes is that you can freeze them before and after cooking, depending on individual preferences. The simple process does not require much preparation. Secondly, you can freeze fish cakes made from marine and freshwater fishes, as long as they are white and flaky. So, let us discuss how to freeze fishcakes.
How Do You Freeze Fish Cakes?
Fish cakes are excellent dishes you can have with various choices like homemade chips, tartar sauce, salad, baked potatoes, rice, bread & butter, roasted vegetables, and minty peas. Here is how you freeze fish cakes.
Freezing Cooked Fish Cakes
Cooked fish cakes freeze the best because the ingredients get mixed perfectly, allowing them to freeze quickly.
- Cook the fish cakes according to the recipe.
- Cool the fish cakes to room temperature. First, freezing them warm can lead to condensation issues that can rot the fish. Secondly, the hot fish cakes disturb other items freezing inside the freezer.
- Once the cooked fish cakes are cooled, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment or grease-proof paper.
- Push the sheet inside the freezer and allow the fish cakes to solidify. The process takes around two hours.
- Once frozen solid, you can transfer the fish cakes to a freezer-safe airtight container. Alternatively, you can use ziplock bags. But ensure to remove residual air from the bags before sealing them tight. Exposure to the cold air inside the fridge can spoil it.
- Note the freezing date and keep the bags or the containers inside the freezer, letting the fish cakes freeze.
Freezing Fish Cakes Before Cooking
It is possible to freeze the fish cakes before cooking. The process is easy, but please keep the flakes as big as possible.
- Form the fish cakes by mixing the tartar sauce and adding the residual ingredients. Please integrate it well because mayonnaise does not freeze well if you do not combine it well with the other food ingredients.
- After mixing the wet ingredients, you can add the shallots, bread crumbs, herbs, and the flaked fish. Keep the mixture for one hour in the refrigerator.
- Scoop out the mixture into equal size patties and set them aside for cooking. Now, you can freeze these formed fish cakes by placing them on a baking sheet and allowing them to flash freeze for two to three hours.
- Once solidified, transfer the frozen uncooked fish cakes to ziplock freezer bags or an airtight freezer container. Seal the containers/bags after removing excess air from them.
- Stick the freezing date labels and set the mixture to freeze inside the freezer.
How Long Can You Freeze Fish Cakes Without Altering Their Taste And Texture?
If you refrigerate the fish cakes, they can last for a few days in the fridge. However, frozen fish cakes can last for three months, provided you freeze them properly.
How Do You Defrost Frozen Fish Cakes?
You can defrost the frozen fish cakes in the refrigerator. Transfer the fish cakes from the freezer to the fridge and allow them to stay overnight. The temperature difference enables the frozen fish cakes to defrost gradually and uniformly. The process takes eight to ten hours. But it is the ideal method.
Defrosting the frozen fish cakes at room temperature or in the microwave is not advisable because the defrosting is incomplete. In addition, it can affect the overall taste and texture of the fish cakes.
Can You Reheat Fish Cakes?
You can reheat the cooked fish cakes in an oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit until they become warm and crispy. It can take around eight to ten minutes.
Uncooked fish cakes can be cooked as usual after defrosting.
Can You Refreeze Fish Cakes?
You can refreeze the fish cakes once if you have frozen and defrosted them correctly, as discussed above. The critical element is cooling the fish cakes before the freezing process. If you are unsure about their cooling, we do not recommend refreezing them. However, you can refreeze them only once. Please do not attempt a second refreezing because they can spoil.
Can You Freeze Fish Cakes Once Cooked?
Yes. It is possible to freeze the fish cakes after cooking them. However, please ensure the flash-freezing process first before the regular freezing.
Do You Freeze Fish Cakes Before Or After Cooking?
You can freeze fish cakes before and after cooking. Yes. You can freeze them twice, provided you follow the perfect freezing procedure.
Can You Freeze Fish Cake Mix?
You can freeze the fish cake mix, provided you combine the ingredients well. However, you must be extra careful with the mayonnaise as it does not freeze well alone.
Can You Freeze Fish Cake Batter?
You can freeze the fish cakes batter if you mix it well. Despite the presence of objectionable ingredients, the fish cake batter freezes well.
Can You Freeze Thai Fish Cakes?
Yes. Thai fish cakes freeze well. You can freeze the fish cakes and consume them later after defrosting and reheating them.
Can You Freeze Korean Fish Cakes?
Yes. It is possible to freeze Korean fish cakes the same way you froze Thai fish cakes. However, we suggest defrosting them in the fridge before reheating them for consumption.
Can You Freeze Salmon Fish Cakes?
Yes. Salmon fish cakes freeze well. You can choose red or pink tinned salmon, depending on individual preferences. The freezing method is the same as discussed here in detail.
Can You Freeze Tuna Fish Cakes?
Yes. You can freeze tuna fish cakes. But, we advise wrapping the tuna fish cakes in cling film before freezing them. These fish cakes remain fresh for three months from the freezing date.
Can You Freeze Codfish Cakes?
Codfish cakes freeze the best because these fish have large flakes. Therefore, you can freeze these fish cakes before or after cooking with equal ease. However, it is essential to cool or flash-freeze the codfish cakes to ensure proper freezing.
Fish cakes are delicious breakfast recipes. You can have them with various dishes as a main course meal also. Hence, there are possibilities of preparing more fish cakes than you might consume at a time. But, there should not be any preservation issues because fish cakes freeze well. You can comfortably freeze fish cakes for three months.