Quick Answer : Can You Freeze Meatloaf?
Here is a quick response. You can freeze meatloaf without any problem. It is among the easiest foods to freeze. The best part of freezing meatloaf is that you can freeze it raw, cooked, baked, or unbaked. You can also freeze meatloaf leftovers.
Meatloaf is a versatile dish you can have as sandwich fillings with rice, pasta, or noodles. So, let us see how to freeze meatloaf and enjoy its freshness for extended periods.
How Do You Freeze Meatloaf?
Meatloaf freezes well. So, you can prepare it in advance, freeze it, and consume it whenever you need it. While refrigerating it for three to four days is possible, freezing it can extend its lifespan sufficiently. However, the key is preventing air exposure and maintaining the temperature at 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Here is how you freeze meatloaf.
Freezing Baked Meatloaf
- Cool the baked meatloaf to room temperature by placing it on a wire rack. Cooling is necessary because freezing warm meatloaf can cause condensation and make the meatloaf soggy. Once it has become cold, wrap it in plastic or cling wrap. An aluminum foil is also ideal. The idea is not to expose the meatloaf to the cool air and moisture inside the freezer.
- You can freeze the meatloaf in a rigid plastic airtight container or a heavy-duty resealable freezer bag.
- If you use a rigid plastic container, place the wrapped meatloaf inside it and close the lid airtight. If you use a resealable bag, put the meatloaf inside the bag and remove excess air before sealing it airtight.
- Stick the date label after sealing the bag. Next, push the freezer bag into the freezer and allow it to freeze.
Freezing Unbaked Meatloaf
Freezing unbaked meatloaf requires you to take additional precautions.
- The first step is to flash freeze the unbaked meatloaf and prevent bacterial contamination. Besides, we advise dividing the meatloaf into manageable portions before freezing it.
- The advantage of dividing it into small portions is avoiding defrosting the entire meatloaf slab. The flash freeze process is easy. Place the uncooked meatloaf on a metal cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. You can also take a muffin tray. Please ensure that the meatloaf pieces do not touch each other. Place the metal sheet gradually inside the freezer and level it to prevent the meatloaf pieces from sliding. The meatloaf should freeze within three to four hours.
- Once they solidify, you can transfer the meatloaf pieces to a storage container. First, we suggest wrapping each slice in plastic and aluminum foil. It prevents air and moisture contamination.
- We suggest using shallow rigid containers with an airtight lid. Please label the containers with the freezing date and allow the meatloaf pieces to freeze.
How Long Can You Keep Frozen Meatloaf Fresh In The Freezer?
The frozen meatloaf can remain fresh for nearly four months. So, we recommend consuming it within three to four months to enjoy its taste and flavor the best. However, this shelf life is subject to maintaining the freezer temperature at 0 degrees Fahrenheit.
How Do You Defrost The Frozen Meatloaf?
You can defrost the frozen meatloaf in two ways.
- In the fridge – The trusted defrosting method is transferring the frozen meatloaf from the freezer to the refrigerator overnight. The process takes time, but the defrosting is perfect. The meatloaf becomes soft enough to slice and reheat on the stovetop using a skillet. You can also microwave it before consuming it.
- In the water bowl – If you have time issues, you can defrost the frozen meatloaf by submerging the entire meatloaf container in a water bowl. You might have to change the water every 15 to 20 minutes. Once the meatloaf has softened, you can remove and slice it. Subsequently, you microwave it or use the oven toaster to reheat the meatloaf.
Can You Refreeze Meatloaf?
We do not advise refreezing meatloaf as it can turn crumbly and lose its texture. Therefore, we recommend consuming the defrosted meatloaf quickly within two days of defrosting. The meatloaf cannot last more than three or four days in the refrigerator.
Can You Freeze Meatloaf And Mashed Potatoes?
Yes, you can freeze meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Potatoes freeze well when mashed. However, ensure that the meatloaf and the mashed potatoes are cooled to room temperature before freezing them.
Can You Freeze Meatloaf Before Cooking?
You can freeze meatloaf before cooking. We suggest mixing the ingredients and forming the loaf. Wrap the loaf with plastic wrap and transfer it to the freezer bag. The frozen meatloaf should last for six months in the freezer.
Can You Freeze Meatloaf After Baking?
Yes, it is possible to freeze the meatloaf after baking. The procedure is the same, but you must flash-freeze the meatloaf before placing them in the freezer bags for freezing.
Can You Freeze Meatloaf Uncooked?
You can freeze meatloaf uncooked in the way described here.
Can You Freeze Meatloaf Mix?
You can freeze meatloaf mix in two ways. One way is to freeze and bake it the way described here. Alternatively, you can form the meatloaf mix into muffin-sized balls and freeze it in a non-stick muffin pan. Then, on solidifying, you can transfer them to freezer bags and place them inside the freezer to freeze.
Can You Freeze Meatloaf Raw?
Yes, you can free meatloaf raw. The freezing method is the same as that for uncooked meatloaf.
Can You Freeze Meatloaf After Cooking?
You can freeze meatloaf after cooking. However, you should maintain the temperature constantly at 0 degrees Fahrenheit.
Can You Freeze Meatloaf With Raw Egg In It?
It is safe to freeze meatloaf with raw egg in it. The raw eggs freeze well and can be kept for twelve months.
Can You Freeze Store-Bought Meatloaf?
You can freeze store-bought meatloaf. Unopened meatloaf does not require freezing as they come with a decent shelf life. However, you can freeze them if needed in their original packing. Once opened, you can freeze the meatloaf the way described here.
Can You Freeze Meatloaf Leftovers?
You can freeze meatloaf leftovers the same way described here. However, we advise removing the other foods sticking to meatloaf before wrapping it in plastic wrap and freezing it in resealable ziplock bags inside the freezer.
Meatloaf is among the most convenient dishes to freeze. So, if you have prepared a large quantity of meatloaf, you need not worry about its storage. We have discussed how to freeze meatloaf in different ways.