Quick Answer – Can You Freeze Rotisserie Chicken?
You can freeze rotisserie chicken comfortably, whether you prepare it at home or buy it from the store. The rotisserie chicken freezes well and can remain almost indefinitely frozen if you maintain the freezing temperature below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Of course, you will consume it. So, let us discuss how to freeze rotisserie chicken and maintain its freshness.
How Do You Freeze Rotisserie Chicken?
Generally, meat tends to deteriorate in quality after five to seven days in the freezer. So, freezing meat like rotisserie chicken is ideal for extending its shelf life considerably. In addition, freezing enables you to use the chicken in sandwiches, soups, salads and even reheated and eaten as it is. Here are the different methods of freezing rotisserie chicken.
Freezing A Rotisserie Chicken Whole
You can freeze a rotisserie chicken whole. But, you need to prepare the chicken well for the freezing job. First, you will have to defrost the chicken and consume it quickly.
- Let the chicken cool completely. Then, we advise placing the chicken in the refrigerator overnight. Then, you can remove it the following morning and prepare it for freezing.
- Once cooled, take the chicken from the container, and place it inside a large freezer bag.
- Press the ziplock bag gently to remove excess air as exposure to air can cause freezer burn.
- Note the freezing date on the sticker label and seal the bag airtight.
- Push the freezer bag inside the freezer to freeze.
Freezing Rotisserie Chicken Off The Bone
This method is ideal if you have to freeze pulled rotisserie chicken or chicken leftovers. You can remove the meat off the bone and freeze it. This freezing mode is perfect for preparing soups, salads, sandwiches, etc. because you can shred the chicken conveniently. You will need small containers and ziplock bags to freeze the individual chicken pieces.
Freezing The Pulled Rotisserie Chicken
- Cool the chicken to room temperature. You can cool it comfortably in the refrigerator to ensure that condensation does not set in and spoil the chicken.
- Once it is cooled, you can remove the meat from the bones. You can shred it into small pieces or keep it large, depending on individual preferences.
- Chop the chicken pieces into consumable portions to make it easy for thawing and later consumption.
- Place the pieces into appropriately-sized ziplock bags and containers. We advise covering the airtight containers with plastic wrap to protect them from freezer burn. Next, gently squeeze the ziplock bags to expel excess air from the bags. Finally, seal the bags and the containers airtight.
- Note the contents and freezing date on a masking tape and stick it to the bags/containers. It helps you to know how long you have frozen the chicken.
- Push the bags into the freezer allowing the chicken pieces to freeze well.
Freezing Leftover Rotisserie Chicken
You can freeze the chicken leftovers after eating them partially. These steps help you to do so.
- We advise you to pull the bones with no meat on them for preparing the broth. Alternatively, you can discard them.
- On removing the bones, you can let the remaining rotisserie chicken cool inside the refrigerator. It prevents condensation that can impact the chicken’s flavor and taste.
- Once cooled, transfer the rotisserie chicken pieces into a large freezer bag. Vacuum out excess air and seal the bag tightly. The presence of air can cause freezer burn.
- Note the date and the contents on the freezer bag before pushing it inside the freezer.
Freezing Store-Bought Rotisserie Chicken
- Debone the chicken as soon as you get home from the market. The meat falls off the bone easier. Cut the chicken into consumable service-size pieces.
- Wrap each chicken piece in saran wrap to prevent freezer burn.
- Place the wrapped chicken pieces in a plastic bag. Remove excess air and seal it. Note the freezing date and place the bag inside the freezer.
How Long Can Frozen Rotisserie Chicken Last?
A properly frozen rotisserie chicken can remain fresh for four months in the freezer. However, it can last indefinitely if you consistently maintain the freezer temperature below 0 degrees Celsius. However, we recommend consuming the rotisserie chicken within four months to enjoy its optimal flavor and taste.
How Do You Defrost Frozen Rotisserie Chicken?
The whole chicken can take more time to defrost than the smaller pieces. The ideal defrosting method is transferring the chicken from the freezer to the fridge compartment. The rotisserie chicken defrosts naturally. This process takes time. So, you start the process overnight.
You can also defrost the frozen rotisserie chicken pieces on the kitchen counter. The chicken defrosts in a couple of hours. If you have less time, you can submerge the freezer bags in warm water and expedite the defrosting process.
Can You Refreeze A Rotisserie Chicken?
We do not recommend refreezing a rotisserie chicken. It can damage the texture and taste irrevocably. Hence, we recommend freezing the chicken in small consumable portions.
Can You Reheat The Defrosted Rotisserie Chicken?
You can warm the defrosted rotisserie chicken in the oven at a preheated temperature of 350 degrees Fahrenheit. We advise wrapping the chicken with tip foil to trap the heat.
Alternatively, you can reheat the rotisserie chicken in an air fryer, preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Can You Freeze Rotisserie Chicken Salad?
It is possible to freeze rotisserie chicken salad. But, we recommend freezing the rotisserie chicken and adding the salad ingredients to it to achieve the best results.
Can You Freeze Rotisserie Chicken From Costco?
You can freeze rotisserie chicken from Costco. We have discussed the method of freezing store-bought rotisserie chicken.
Can You Freeze Rotisserie Chicken Breast?
Cooked chicken breasts freeze well. So, you can freeze rotisserie chicken breast.
Can You Freeze Rotisserie Chicken On The Bone?
You can freeze rotisserie chicken partially eaten still on the bone. The method is the same as described here.
Rotisserie chicken is a lip-smacking recipe that can be eaten in different ways, like salads, soups, and even whole. If you have prepared sufficient quantities of rotisserie chicken, you can consider freezing as one of the best options for preserving it. We have seen that it is perfectly possible to freeze rotisserie chicken and consume it whenever you like it.