When it comes to making a creamy cup of coffee, nothing can equal dairy milk. But, it is not the right option for people with lactose intolerance. Fortunately, you have a vegan alternative for dairy milk in soy milk. Though it does not exactly taste the same, it is an ideal choice for drinking, cooking, and baking. So, if you have stocks of soy milk cartons in the pantry, can you explore the option of freezing them for later consumption?
Can You Freeze Soy Milk?
If you are here for a one-word answer, it is YES. You can freeze soy milk, but it depends on the ingredients manufacturers add to it during its preparation. Generally, manufacturers add calcium, vitamin D, and Omega-3 fatty acids to bring it close to dairy milk. However, the ingredients could differ across brands, so frozen soy milk has mixed results.
Does Freezing Affect Soy Milk?
Soy milk looks creamy when fresh, but its ingredients separate when frozen and thawed. It changes the texture, and you might not feel like drinking it straight out of the fridge or even adding it to your cereals. But, its nutritional value does not change. So, freezing soy milk requires you to prepare it for the process.
Is Your Soy Milk Ready For Freezing?
We do not recommend freezing soy milk that has remained open for more than two days, definitely not after its expiration. The ideal time to freeze soy milk is when it is fresh. So, if you do not consume the entire pack in a single session, freezing half of it is a viable option.
How Do You Freeze Soy Milk?
You can freeze soy milk in a couple of ways.
- We suggest apportioning the soy milk into consumable quantities before freezing it. The advantage is that you can thaw it individually. Besides, defrosting a liter of soy milk takes more time than a consumable portion like 100ml. Secondly, if you have to discard soy milk, it is more convenient to throw away small quantities than the entire pack.
- Pour the required quantity of soy milk into a resealable ziplock bag or an appropriately-sized airtight container. Please note that soy milk contains water in large amounts. So, it could expand on freezing. Therefore, we suggest leaving some space at the top for the milk to expand. We do not advise freezing soy milk in glass bottles because the expansion can crack the bottles.
- Remove excess air before sealing the bags or the containers. We recommend labeling the bags to give an idea about their duration lying inside the freezer.
- Place the containers or the freezer bags inside the freezer.
How To Freeze Soy Milk In An Ice Cube Tray?
Freezing soy milk in ice cubes or silicone cube trays is an excellent option.
- Fill the ice cube trays with soy milk. Please leave space for its expansion.
- Place the ice cube trays inside the freezer and leave them overnight to freeze.
- Remove the frozen soy milk cubes in the morning and transfer them to a freezer bag.
- The plastic ice cube tray can get a bit sticky. So instead, a silicone tray is a better option.
- The advantage of freezing soy milk in ice cube trays is that it becomes easy for consumption.
- Please note that frozen soy milk can turn a pale yellow color. However, that should not be a problem.
- Seal the bags, label them, and set them to freeze inside the freezer.
How Long Does Frozen Soy Milk Remain Fit For Consumption?
If you follow the appropriate procedure, the frozen soy milk can remain consumable for three months.
How Do You Defrost The Frozen Soy Milk?
Ideally, you can defrost the frozen soy milk in the refrigerator. Remove the individual packets of soy milk you need and place them in another container inside the fridge for a few hours. The frozen soy milk should defrost naturally. You can leave it overnight and have fully defrosted soy milk the following morning.
The ingredients could have separated during the defrosting process. So, we suggest that you shake it vigorously to restore its consistency. It will not be as homogenous as when fresh, but it will still be consumable. So, we advise you to consume the defrosted soy milk within a couple of days.
Alternatively, you can skip the defrosting process and use the frozen soy milk cubes in milkshakes and smoothies. It is also possible to reheat soy milk straight from the freezer into the saucepan or microwave.
Can You Refreeze Soy Milk?
Refreezing soy milk is not a recommended option. The soy milk will deteriorate further and become unpalatable.
Can You Freeze Silk Soy Milk?
Silk, a reputed soy milk manufacturer, does not recommend freezing soy milk because it changes its texture after defrosting. At the same time, it also states that freezing soy milk does not affect its nutritional value. Therefore, it is safe to freeze Silk soy milk.
Can You Freeze Alpro Soy Milk?
Alpro, another soy milk manufacturer, offers similar opinions about freezing soy milk. As the nutritional value of soy milk does not change after freezing, it is better than wasting it.
Can You Freeze Homemade Soy Milk?
Homemade soy milk has a lower shelf life than store-bought soy milk because it does not contain preservatives and added vitamins. Nevertheless, you can freeze homemade soy milk in the same way.
Can You Freeze Soy Milk For Making Ice Creams?
Freezing soy milk with fruits for making ice cream can make it a soggy mess. However, you can use thawed soy milk in an ice cream maker for preparing ice creams.
Can You Freeze Soy Milk For Making Smoothies?
It is the best method to use frozen soy milk.
Can You Refrigerate Soy Milk?
You can refrigerate homemade soy milk to maintain it for four to five days. However, we advise you to check out the store-bought soy milk carton if it indicates the soy milk has undergone UHT (a short-time pasteurization procedure). If it has, then we do not advise refrigerating it.
Soy milk is an excellent alternative to dairy milk. However, people generally ask whether it is safe to freeze soy milk. Though its texture can change, we can freeze soy milk to retain its nutritional value. So, can you freeze soy milk? The answer is YES.