French cuisine is delicious because it uses luxurious condiments and ingredients having vibrant flavors in its preparations. One such example is tartar sauce, with an exotic combination of lemon, sour cream, salt, dill, mayonnaise, pepper, mustard, and capers. Besides, tartar sauce can have other ingredients like hard-boiled egg yolk, green onions, and vegetable oil. Generally, you serve tartar sauce with seafood, meat, or vegetable dishes.
So, if you prepare this versatile dish in bulk, you might have to search for preservation options because this dish would not be consumed in a single setting. So, what are the options left? How do you store tartar sauce? Can you refrigerate it?
Can You Freeze Tartar Sauce?
Freezing tartar sauce can be a tricky business because it contains mayonnaise. Generally, mayonnaise products are not suitable for freezing because mayonnaise does not have an excellent reputation for thawing well. Therefore, we do not recommend freezing tartar sauce with mayonnaise. So, where does this place us? Can we freeze tartar sauce without mayonnaise and add it before serving? Yes, that is a viable option. Therefore, we can say that you can freeze homemade tartar sauce without mayonnaise.
What Tartar Sauce Can You Freeze?
Before discussing how to freeze tartar sauce, let us see what kind of tartar sauce freezes well. A crucial point to consider here is what you can do to maintain the original texture, flavor, taste, and creaminess of tartar sauce. Store-bought tartar sauce contains mayonnaise. Besides, these products come with a clear label stating ‘Not suitable for Freezing.’ Freezing such sauce can leave you with a mess.
On the other hand, homemade tartar sauce without mayonnaise can freeze well, provided you take the necessary precautions.
How Do You Freeze Tartar Sauce?
The first thing to note about freezing tartar sauce is that you need not add all the ingredients immediately. You can keep some for adding later before serving the sauce.
- Ideally, you can freeze tartar sauce without mayonnaise in a large bowl. Alternatively, you can apportion it into smaller portions fit for consumption. It saves you the trouble of defrosting the entire bowl.
- Covering the tartar sauce is critical because it can get contaminated inside the freezer. So, please ensure that you cover the mason jar with plastic wrap. Secondly, placing the pot on the topmost layer of the freezer ensures that dirt and other pollutants do not fall into the tartar sauce and spoil it.
- It is advisable to check whether the tartar sauce has any exposure to liquids during the freezing procedure. Besides, the freezing temperature needs regulation as tartar sauce without mayonnaise freezes at nearly -20 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Finally, the most crucial aspect of freezing tartar sauce is labeling it because it indicates when you have frozen the sauce. Therefore, you do not lose track.
How Do You Defrost Tartar Sauce?
Defrosting tartar sauce is more manageable than freezing it. You can go about the procedure in two ways.
- Remove the glass jar containing the frozen tartar sauce from the freezer and transfer it to the fridge. Leave it for 30 to 40 minutes inside the refrigerator. The primary objective is to regulate the temperature that helps thaw the sauce properly. However, if you do not have much time, this method will not work.
- Alternatively, you can defrost the tartar sauce in warm water. Please place the glass jar in warm water. First, kindly ensure that the water is not too hot, or the pot might crack. Secondly, balancing the jar is critical because the tartar sauce could spill into the water and become useless.
Either way, it is not advisable to leave tartar sauce at room temperature for extended periods before consuming it.
Can You Freeze Tartar Sauce With Mayonnaise?
It is advisable not to freeze tartar sauce with mayonnaise. There might not be a problem freezing it, but defrosting the tartar sauce with mayonnaise is a significant issue. The mayonnaise does not defrost well. It tends to separate and become grainy, affecting the tartar sauce’s texture and making it unpalatable.
How Long Can You Keep The Tartar Sauce Fresh?
The ideal preservation method of tartar sauce is to store it in the refrigerator. It can retain its texture, flavor, and taste for six months, provided you follow the method described here.
Can You Refrigerate Tartar Sauce With Mayonnaise?
We do not recommend freezing mayonnaise products. However, you can refrigerate mayonnaise-based tartar sauce. It is the ideal preservation mode. Besides, chilled tartar sauce tastes tangier than the bottled tartar sauce available on the store shelves.
How Long Can You Keep Tartar Sauce In The Refrigerator Without Freezing It?
The tartar sauce can remain fresh without freezing for around two weeks. However, we advise you to keep it in airtight containers.
Do You Need To Reheat The Tartar Sauce Before Serving?
It is not necessary to reheat tartar sauce before serving because it is best when served chill. However, you can add mayonnaise before serving to enhance its taste.
Can You Refreeze Tartar?
You would have noticed that freezing tartar sauce itself was a monumental task. So, would you like to go through the same process again? Besides, there is no guarantee that the tartar sauce ingredients will hole well. So refreezing tartar sauce is out of the question. Therefore, we never recommend refreezing tartar sauce.
Can You Freeze Leftover Tartar Sauce?
Leftover tartar sauce contains seafood and mayonnaise because you add them before serving. We have already clarified that freezing mayonnaise products is not feasible. Therefore, the ideal way to deal with leftover tartar sauce is to discard it. You can use it with other recipes without freezing or refrigerating it.
Can You Freeze Cream Of Tartar?
You can freeze cream of tartar for a long time in the freezer. However, we suggest using an airtight container to prevent exposure to air and moisture that can spoil the cream of tartar.
Tartar sauce is a delicious condiment with its mayonnaise toppings. But, the presence of mayonnaise prevents you from considering freezing tartar sauce to extend its shelf life. So, can you freeze tartar sauce? We do not recommend freezing store-bought tartar sauce that contains mayonnaise. However, you can prepare mayonnaise-less tartar sauce at home and freeze it. Of course, you can always add the mayonnaise later.