Can You Freeze Velveeta Cheese?
Who doesn’t love sandwiches, especially with melted Velveeta cheese dripping between the two bread slices? Similarly, your finger foods taste that much better when dipped in the most delicious cheese of all, Velveeta. So, it is natural for us to stock up on sufficient quantities of Velveeta cheese in our refrigerator. But can you store them well for extended periods, or can we freeze Velveeta cheese?
Can You Freeze Velveeta Cheese?
Technically, there is no problem freezing Velveeta cheese, but Kraft’s cheesemaker is not particularly in favor of doing so. Kraft’s original Facebook page lists the changes that could happen to Velveeta cheese if we freeze it. In addition, the company states the following in defense of its recommendation not to freeze Velveeta cheese.
- The freezing process can cause crystallization and make the textures grainy.
- There can be fat and water separation, causing water to form a transparent layer on top of the cheese after defrosting.
Nevertheless, we shall discuss how to freeze the product.
How Do You Freeze Velveeta Cheese?
Generally, preparing cheese for freezing can be tedious, but it is not so with Velveeta. Preparing Velveeta cheese for freezing is comparatively straightforward.
- Velveeta cheese is available in blocks in cardboard boxes that are not freezer-safe. So, transferring the Velveeta cheese from its carton to another freezer-safe container is essential.
- So, the first step is to take out the Velveeta cheese block from its original packaging. The best news is that you can freeze the entire block if you wish to. However, we recommend slicing the cheese block into small cubes, ideal for consuming after freezing and defrosting.
- Covering the cheese with a cling wrap ensures no exposure to air. Next, place the wrapped cheese block or pieces in a freezer-safe airtight container.
- Seal the container and stick a label with the freezing date mentioned clearly. We recommend placing the container deep inside the freezer because Velveeta cheese requires maintaining a steady temperature to reduce textural changes to its structure.
How Do You Defrost Velveeta Cheese?
Defrosting Velveeta cheese is a lengthy process. So, it would help if you spared a lot of time. Therefore, we recommend thawing the Velveeta cheese overnight to add to your recipes the following morning.
- Remove the required quantities of Velveeta cheese from the freezer and transfer it to another container in the refrigerator. The natural change in the temperature levels allows the Velveeta cheese to thaw gradually.
- It is advisable to leave the cheese wrapped as it helps retain moisture. However, once the cheese blocks have thawed, you can remove the wrapping.
- However, the consistency of defrosted Velveeta cheese will differ from that of fresh cheese.
- You can restore consistency by recombining the ingredients. The process involves melting the cheese blocks over low heat in a saucepan. However, you need to stir it continuously to prevent the cheese from getting burnt.
- You can use the Velveeta cheese in its melted form or allow it to regain its solid state before using it.
- The Velveeta cheese can be used in various recipes.
How Long Does The Frozen Velveeta Cheese Last?
Generally, frozen Velveeta cheese can remain edible for three months from the freezing date. However, we do not recommend waiting for three months to consume it. The longer you freeze it, the more are the textural changes. So, it is best to finish Velveeta cheese as quickly as possible and ensure minimum textural changes.
Can You Refreeze Velveeta Cheese?
When Kraft, the Velveeta cheesemakers do not recommend freezing the cheese, refreezing is not an option. The texture can change beyond repair.
How Long Can You Store Velveeta Cheese In The Refrigerator?
Opened Velveeta cheese can remain for eight weeks without many textural changes in the refrigerator.
How Long Can Velveeta Cheese Last On The Kitchen Shelf?
Unopened Velveeta cartons can last for six months on the kitchen shelf. However, its shelf life reduces to two months after opening the pack. You can refrigerate it and extend its life a little longer.
Can You Consume Expired Velveeta Cheese?
Velveeta cheese packets come with an expiry date. The date signifies the period up to which Velveeta cheese can be suitable for consumption. However, it does not mean that the cheese will become bad the day after its expiration. You can safely consume Velveeta cheese for two months after its expiry date.
Can You Freeze Velveeta Cheese Dip?
Though it is technically possible to freeze Velveeta cheese dip, we do not recommend doing so because crystal formation could occur within the product making its texture grainy or mushy. Besides, freezing Velveeta cheese dip can break down the ingredients used for making the cheese.
Can You Freeze Velveeta Cheese Blocks?
Freezing Velveeta cheese blocks is possible, but the frozen cheese will be of the same quality as it was when fresh. The freezing process can crystallize the cheese to make the texture grainy.
Can You Freeze Velveeta Cheese Sauce?
It is perfectly possible to freeze Velveeta cheese sauces and keep them in the freezer for six months. We recommend stirring the sauces when reheating to prevent them from curdling.
Can You Freeze Velveeta Cheese In The Box?
Velveeta cheese is available in the departmental store packed in cardboard boxes. You cannot directly place the unopened boxes into the freezer for freezing them. The right procedure is to open the box, remove the Velveeta cheese, and freeze it as described in this article.
Can You Freeze Dry Velveeta Cheese?
Freezing dry Velveeta cheese is possible. While Velveeta cheese has a long shelf life, freezing dry Velveeta cheese can extend its life further. The ideal way to freeze it is to freeze the block and shred it. You can freeze it overnight after spreading it on the tray. Then freeze it dry to enhance its shelf life.
Can You Freeze Velveeta Cheese Loaf?
While it is possible to freeze Velveeta cheese loaf, we advise taking the proper precautions as described here.
Freezing Velveeta cheese has its issues, but you generally do not feel the need to freeze it because the cheese has a comparatively extended shelf life. Nevertheless, you can freeze Velveeta cheese in the manner described here. It can extend its longevity by a couple of months.