Quick Answer : Can You Freeze Aebleskiver?
You can freeze aebleskiver, provided you take the proper precautionary measures. This spherical Danish pancake is a delicious treat to have at any time. It comes with jam fillings and powdered sugar toppings and is served with syrup. Besides, it contains evaporated milk, eggs, oil, yeast, salt, baking powder, and flour. Some of these components are challenging to freeze individually, but the pancake freezes well. So, let us learn how to freeze aebleskiver.
How Do You Freeze Aebleskiver?
Aebleskiver is also known as Danish pancake balls. The fillings include chocolate, scrambled or whisked eggs, and jam. It is a complete end product that cannot be separated from its ingredients. So, people doubt whether you can freeze aebleskiver and preserve them for later consumption. But, you can freeze aebleskiver, and here is how you do it.
Freezing Homemade Aebleskiver
- Prepare the aebleskiver and allow them to cool down to room temperature. Next, you can transfer the pancake balls from the oven to a wire rack. It will enable 360-degree cooling and helps cool the recipe faster.
- We never advise freezing hot or warm pancakes because the heat can cause condensation. In addition, it can make the aebleskiver soggy and inedible. Besides, the warmth from the pancakes can affect other foods freezing inside the freezer.
- We suggest holding off adding the powdered sugar and the syrup for the time being because these ingredients do not freeze well. Powdered sugar can dissolve in the humidity inside the freezer and seep through the pancake and make it soggy. However, you can add the powdered sugar topping and syrup when serving the aebleskiver.
- Similarly, we advise against adding the cheese or cream toppings. They can be added later on before serving.
- Wrap the aebleskiver in parchment paper or plastic wrap tightly. A double wrap is advisable to prevent seepage of moisture and cold air that could harm the dessert by causing freezer burn.
- Place the wrapped aebleskiver inside the freezer bags. Plastic airtight containers are an excellent alternative. Please do not stuff them tightly and squish them in the process. The fillings could leak out and cause the aebleskiver to become mushy.
- Use a vacuum sealer to remove excess air from the freezer bags. If you use airtight plastic containers, we suggest covering the container with a plastic wrap before sealing it airtight.
- Note the freezing date on the bags/containers. It helps you to consume the dessert within its USE BY date. Place the containers/freezer bags on a flat surface inside the freezer and avoid placing other foods over them.
Freezing Store-Bought Aebleskiver
The process of freezing store-bought aebleskiver is slightly different from homemade dessert. Generally, the store-bought aebleskiver contains sugar toppings and syrup. This factor makes it challenging to freeze store-bought or readymade aebleskiver.
However, you can freeze it for shorter durations by wrapping the aebleskiver tightly with plastic wrap and placing them inside freezer bags or airtight containers. Nevertheless, refrigerating the readymade aebleskiver is a better option than freezing it.
How Long Can You Freeze Aebleskiver Without Affecting Its Taste And Texture?
Usually, aebleskiver can remain fresh for three to four days in the refrigerator, provided you wrap them properly. If you require more extended storage, you can freeze them. The frozen aebleskiver remains fresh for up to four months. However, we do not recommend waiting so long to consume it. They are best when consumed within two to three months of freezing.
How Do You Defrost Aebleskiver?
Ideally, you defrost aebleskiver inside the fridge after transferring them from the freezer to the refrigerator. However, the process can take more than four to five hours.
If you face a shortage of time, you can defrost the aebleskiver in a microwave at defrosting settings for ten seconds. That should be sufficient. You can also defrost the aebleskiver in a conventional oven. But, you must be extra careful because it can result in uneven defrosting. Therefore, defrosting it in the fridge is the ideal option.
Can You Reheat Aebleskiver?
You can reheat the aebleskiver in the microwave or the conventional oven. We recommend adding the sugar and cream toppings after reheating it. Thus, you enhance its taste and make it more delicious.
You can also heat the store-bought aebleskiver kept in the refrigerator for some time to make it warm. However, heating it can cause the cream to melt and soak the dessert. Therefore, you must be careful when dealing with store-bought aebleskiver.
Can You Refreeze Aebleskiver?
You cannot refreeze aebleskiver because it can damage the dessert’s structure irrevocably.
Aebleskiver is basically a pancake ball. Hence, we shall answer some frequently asked questions on freezing pancakes.
Can You Freeze Aebleskiver Batter?
You can freeze aebleskiver batter in the freezer for a month. However, preparing the pancake requires thawing in warm water or overnight in the refrigerator.
Can You Freeze Pancake Mix Powder?
You can freeze pancake mix powder in a sturdy freezer bag. Please seal the bag tightly after removing excess air from it. You can freeze it for three months and use it directly from the frozen state.
Can You Freeze Pancake Syrup?
You can freeze pancake syrup separately in a bottle and use it whenever required.
Can You Freeze Pancake Dry Mix?
It is possible to freeze the dry pancake mix in freezer bags. The best aspect of freezing the dry mixture is that it does not require defrosting. Instead, they can be used directly from the freezer to prepare the pancake batter.
Can You Freeze Pancakes Made With Eggs?
The eggs are whisked or scrambled before mixing with the pancake batter. Hence they do not separate from the pancake when you freeze and defrost them. So, you can freeze pancakes made with eggs.
Can You Freeze Pancake Muffins?
You can freeze pancake muffins the same way you freeze pancakes. However, you freeze muffins in their boxes to ensure they retain their shape.
Can You Freeze Pancake Batter With Eggs?
You can freeze pancake batter with eggs, provided the recipe does not include egg whites to be folded into it. If you scramble or whisk the eggs, they mix well. So, there are no issues freezing pancake batter with eggs.
Aebleskiver is a delicious Danish treat no one would like to waste. So, can you freeze aebleskiver? The answer is YES. We have seen how to freeze aebleskiver and enjoy the delicious dessert later.