Everyone relishes corn as it is one of the most convenient snacks to pop into the mouth. Besides, it has its benefits. So, no one likes to waste corn, even if there is leftover corn after dinner or unopened corn in the can about to expire. If you do not want to waste it, what are the options? Can you refrigerate canned corn? Or can you freeze canned corn?
Can You Freeze Canned Corn?
The answer is both a Yes and a No. Keep reading on to understand why it is so.
Canned corn has its expiry date. Freezing canned corn can extend its shelf life, especially if you keep it frozen at 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Though it can technically remain safe for consumption indefinitely, we recommend using it within two to three months.
Can You Freeze Corn In Its Can?
No, it is not advisable to freeze corn in its can. The alternative is to transfer it to another container.
Let us learn how to freeze canned corn.
How Do You Freeze Canned Corn?
The procedure is straightforward.
- Drain the corn in a colander.
- Transfer the kernels to freezer-safe ziplock bags or airtight containers.
- Seal the freezer bag properly. If you use a plastic bag, it is advisable to remove excess air before freezing.
- Label the bag by noting down the freezing date.
- Place the freezer bag or container and freeze the canned corn.
How Long Can Frozen Canned Corn Remain Fresh In The Freezer?
Frozen, canned corn can remain fresh for consumption within two to three months.
How Do You Defrost Frozen, Canned Corn?
You can thaw frozen, canned corn in multiple ways. It depends on the recipe you prepare.
- Directly Into The Dish – If you are making hot vegetable soup, you can transfer the frozen, canned corn straight from the freezer into the dish.
- In The Refrigerator – The fridge is the right place for defrosting the frozen corn. You can transfer the frozen corn from the freezer to the fridge and allow it to thaw naturally. This process can take time, but it is the best.
- Running Cold Water – If you do not have much time on your hands, you can thaw frozen, canned corn by dumping it in the colander and running cold water over it until it breaks apart. Then, you can proceed with reheating the corn.
- In The Microwave – You can defrost frozen corn in the microwave. Microwave at 50% power or use the defrost setting.
- On The Stovetop – You can cook the frozen corn with water or chicken broth. Reheat the corn over medium heat until it thaws.
How Long Does Defrosted Canned Corn Remain Fresh In The Refrigerator?
If you defrost the canned corn in the fridge, the defrosted corn can last for three to four days. However, if you have thawed the corn in a microwave or stovetop, it is advisable to consume it immediately.
How Long Do You Expect The Canned Corn To Last In The Fridge?
If you have not opened the can, you need not refrigerate it. However, refrigerated opened corn will not last more than four to five days, especially if you store it below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
Can The Frozen Corn Pop In The Microwave?
Yes, frozen corn can pop in the microwave if it has not been defrosted earlier. You can place the frozen corn directly from the freezer in a microwave-safe dish and cover it. Add water to the bottom of the dish. Cover the dish and pop the corns in the microwave.
Is It Possible For Canned Corn To Go Bad?
Yes, canned corn can go bad. It is advisable to discard bad corn immediately because consuming it can cause food poisoning issues.
How Do You Determine That The Canned Corn Has Gone Bad?
The corn has gone bad if you find the can leaking or swollen. Similarly, if the can becomes rusty or has dents, it is advisable to discard the corn immediately.
Bad corn can show mold infection, color changes, and offensive smell.
Can You Eat Canned Corn After Its Expiry Date?
If you have not frozen the canned corn, it is not advisable to eat it after its expiry date. However, you can eat frozen canned corn within two to three months of freezing them.
Is It Possible To Freeze Creamed Corn?
You can freeze creamed corn, but we do not recommend draining it like kernel corn. Instead, you can transfer it to an airtight container or a freezer bag and freeze it.
How Do You Store Canned Corn After Opening It?
Canned corn remains fresh because of the brine or the liquid in it. So, you should not drain the brine while storing the corn. Instead, you can transfer the corn and brine into an airtight container. It helps maintain the taste and texture of the food.
How Can You Use Leftover Canned Corn Without Freezing It?
If you have few leftovers, it is better to use them in various ways rather than spending time and effort freezing them. Here are some excellent uses for leftover canned corn.
- You can add it to your Taco soup.
- If you do not like taco soup, vegetable soup is also acceptable for adding leftover corn.
- You can prepare innovative dishes like lima beans succotash comprising corn and lima beans.
- Corn has excellent use as a salad topper.
- Mix green beans with corn and prepare green bean succotash.
Can You Refreeze Canned Corn?
You should not refreeze canned corn because it can display changes in its texture, flavor, and taste with repeated freezing and defrosting.
Can You Freeze Leftover Canned Sweet Corn?
You can freeze leftover canned sweet corn the same way you freeze canned corn.
Why Can You Not Freeze Canned Corn In Its Original Can?
The canned corn freezing procedure states that you should empty the canned corn of its brine and liquids before freezing them. Therefore, you cannot freeze canned corn in its original can because it will contain brine and other fluids.
Canned corn is amongst the tastiest of snacks you can have. So, wasting any leftovers is not advisable when you can freeze and enjoy them subsequently.