Can You Freeze Kiwi?
Quick Answer : Can You Freeze Kiwi?
Yes. You can freeze kiwi fruit, but it requires some preparation. The kiwi fruit is not as watery as the melons, but they still have sufficient water to make it a bit challenging to freeze. The kiwi fruit is similar to the mango when it comes to freezing. The defrosted kiwi fruit can be mushy. However, it does not affect its taste. So, freezing the kiwi fruit is a viable option for preserving the fruit and consuming it later. Here is how we freeze the kiwi.
How Do You Freeze Kiwi?
Refrigerating the kiwi should not be a problem. The kiwi lasts in the refrigerator for a decent duration. However, freezing the kiwi fruit is a definite possibility. You can freeze the kiwi fruit in two ways. But, freezing the fruit whole is not one of them. We do not recommend freezing the kiwi fruit whole because the fruit turns mushy on freezing and thawing. Besides, the kiwi occupies more space. Hence, slicing the fruit before freezing is better.
Freezing Kiwi Fruit After Slicing Or Dicing It
Freezing the sliced kiwi fruit is easy. It is the quickest way to freeze the kiwi.
- Generally, slicing the kiwi fruit is recommended. But, dicing is a better option if you plan to use the kiwi fruit for smoothies. Besides, you can also use the diced kiwi fruit in the salad.
- Use baking or parchment paper to line a cookie sheet. A silicone sheet is also an excellent option. The kiwi fruit does not stick to the silicone. Similarly, removing the frozen kiwi fruit from the parchment paper is easy.
- Place the sliced kiwi fruits on the cookie sheet or the silicone mat in a single layer. Please ensure the pieces do not touch each other. Otherwise, they can stick together during the freezing activity.
- We recommend coating the kiwi fruit with sugar because sugar acts as a preservative, enabling the fruits to retain their quality longer.
- Place the cookie sheet inside the freezer overnight and let it remain there until the kiwi solidifies. The kiwi fruit freezes solid the following morning.
- You can remove the solidified kiwi fruit slices and transfer them to a freezer bag or an airtight plastic container.
- Press the bags gently to remove excess air before sealing them and noting the freezing date.
- Push the ziplock bags into the freezer, allowing the kiwi fruits to freeze.
Freezing Kiwi Fruit In Sugar Syrup
Freezing the kiwi fruit in sugar syrup is another freezing avenue available. The process requires adequate preparations and occupies more space in the freezer. But, it is a popular freezing method.
- Preparing the sugar syrup is crucial. We suggest preparing the syrup using three cups of sugar for every four water cups. You can add preservatives like ascorbic acid to preserve the fruit longer.
- Slice the kiwi fruits and add them to the sugar syrup. Please ensure that the fruits are fully submerged inside the sugar syrup. Leave sufficient space at the top allowing the liquid to expand during freezing.
- Seal the containers airtight and note the freezing dates on them.
- Place the containers upright inside the freezer.
How Long Can Frozen Kiwi Fruit Last In The Freezer?
A lot depends on how you freeze the kiwi. The fruits can remain frozen for twelve months. However, we suggest you consume the fruits sooner to enjoy their optimal taste. In addition, we advise checking the freezing kiwi fruits for signs of spoilage every month.
How Do You Defrost The Frozen Kiwi Fruit?
You can transfer the frozen kiwi directly from the freezer to the blender if you wish to use them in smoothies. The heat generated during the blending activity can defrost the kiwi. Besides, it ensures that the smoothie is cold.
The ideal defrosting method is transferring the frozen kiwi from the freezer to the refrigerator. We suggest initiating the defrosting overnight. The defrosted kiwi should be ready for consumption the following morning.
But, if you have a shortage of time, you can defrost the frozen kiwi in cold water. First, submerge the frozen kiwi’s freezer bag in a cold water bowl. The defrosting process is quicker than the refrigerator mode.
Can You Refreeze Kiwi Fruit?
We do not recommend refreezing the kiwi fruit because the fruit can change its texture after repeated freezing. It can become mushy and inedible.
Can You Freeze Kiwi For Smoothies?
Yes. You can freeze the kiwi fruit for smoothies. However, we suggest slicing the kiwi before freezing. It is better than freezing the kiwi whole. Besides, you need not defrost the kiwi when using it for smoothies.
Can You Freeze Kiwi Slices?
Yes. The kiwi fruit freezes best when you slice it. We do not recommend freezing the kiwi whole because the water content in the fruit can make it mushy. Besides, the fruit loses its color and becomes messy to slice subsequently. Therefore, cutting the fruit before freezing is the right way to freeze it.
Can You Freeze Kiwi Puree?
Yes. It is possible to freeze the kiwi puree. The ice cube tray mode is the ideal method for freezing kiwi puree. First, prepare the kiwi puree and scoop it inside the ice cube tray compartments. Allow the puree to solidify inside the freezer for four to six hours. Next, remove the frozen puree cubes and transfer them to a freezer bag or an airtight plastic container. Vacuum seal it and keep the freezer bags in the freezer to freeze the puree.
Can You Freeze Kiwi For Onion Dip?
Yes. There should not be any issues freezing the kiwi for onion dip.
Can You Freeze Kiwi Berries?
Yes. It is possible to freeze kiwi berries in various ways. For example, you can freeze them whole or slice them accordingly.
Can You Freeze Kiwi Fruit Pulp?
Yes. It is possible to freeze kiwi pulp the same way you freeze the kiwi puree.
Kiwi fruit is delicious to have fresh. However, refrigerating it is a good idea to store it for three to five days. But, if you wish to preserve it for extended periods, freezing the kiwi is an excellent option. We suggest you prepare the kiwi well for freezing because it is not advisable to freeze the fruit whole. So, can you freeze kiwi? Yes. You can. We have discussed the entire procedure here.