Quick Answer : Can You Freeze Mozzarella Cheese?
Yes. You can freeze mozzarella cheese and consume it later. However, there are challenges to overcome because all types of mozzarella cheese do not freeze well. For example, mozzarella cheese is available in three forms, cheese blocks, shredded cheese, and mozzarella cheese balls. In addition, mozzarella is a soft cheese. So, you need to exercise precautions when freezing it. Let us see how to freeze the different forms of mozzarella cheese.
How Do You Freeze Mozzarella Cheese?
Mozzarella cheese is available in three primary forms. The fresh mozzarella cheese is in the form of cheese balls immersed in liquid. The block cheese is similar to other hard cheeses, whereas mozzarella is also available in shredded form. Knowing all these forms is crucial because not all of them freeze well.
Freezing Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Store-bought mozzarella cheese is usually shredded. The cheese contains a lot of preservatives. Hence, they come with a long shelf life. Usually, you can finish the container before its expiry date. Nevertheless, shredded mozzarella cheese freezes well.
- Transfer the shredded mozzarella cheese to ziplock freezer bags.
- Squeeze the air out and seal the bags well.
- Note the freezing date and keep these ziplock bags inside the freezer.
Freezing Mozzarella Cheese Blocks
Mozzarella cheese blocks also have a long shelf life. But, you can freeze them and store them beyond their expiry date.
- You can freeze mozzarella blocks whole, but we do not recommend doing so. It is because the mozzarella cheese blocks crumble easily when thawing. Also, as you might have to defrost the entire block, there are chances of wastage. Therefore, slicing the mozzarella blocks into consumable slices is better. Then, you can remove the required frozen mozzarella cheese while allowing the others to remain frozen.
- Wrap the mozzarella cheese slices in aluminum foil or cling film. We suggest wrapping them tight but ensure that the cheese does not crumble.
- Place the wrapped mozzarella cheese slices in a ziplock bag and seal them after removing air.
- Please write down the freezing date on the bag before pushing them deep into the freezer.
Freezing Mozzarella Cheese Balls
While freezing the other forms of mozzarella cheese was easy, it can be challenging to freeze fresh mozzarella cheese. In addition, the texture can get disturbed. So, we suggest using the frozen mozzarella cheese balls in recipes directly.
- Drain the excess moisture from the mozzarella cheese balls. You can utilize paper towels for drying the cheese. The water in the mozzarella cheese balls can freeze into ice crystals that can melt and make the cheese watery when defrosting.
- Depending on individual preferences, you can portion the balls.
- We suggest wrapping the individual cheese balls if you plan to freeze them for extended periods. Wrapping the cheese balls helps to keep them in place and prevent disintegrating during freezing.
- Place the wrapped mozzarella cheese on a cookie sheet and push them into the freezer. The balls freeze solid within two hours. Next, remove the cookie sheet and place the frozen cheese balls inside freezer-safe ziplock bags.
- Vacuum seal the bags and note the freezing date. Then, keep the ziplock bags inside the freezer, allowing the mozzarella cheese balls to freeze.
How Long Can You Keep Mozzarella Cheese Frozen?
- The mozzarella blocks are comparatively hard and solid. In addition, they have a low moisture content. Hence, they freeze well. These cheese blocks can remain frozen for six months or even longer, provided you freeze them correctly.
- The shredded mozzarella cheese can remain fresh in the frozen state for three months. You can extend it to four months if you prevent exposure to humidity inside the freezer.
- The mozzarella cheese balls are the most vulnerable of the lot. They can remain frozen for three months. However, the high-water content can cause the overall texture to change after freezing.
How Do You Defrost Mozzarella Cheese?
You have more than one option for defrosting mozzarella cheese.
- The ideal defrosting method is the refrigerator defrost mode, where you transfer the frozen mozzarella cheese from the freezer to the fridge. The cheese defrosts best if you use this method.
- The refrigerator defrosting process is time-consuming. Alternatively, you can thaw the mozzarella cheese in cold water. Then, for two hours, submerge the freezer bag containing the frozen mozzarella cheese in cold water. The cheese should defrost well. But, we suggest consuming the cheese immediately.
- You can also use the frozen mozzarella cheese directly from the freezer to the recipe. However, under such circumstances, the recipe cooking time increases because the cheese takes more time to defrost and cook.
Can You Refreeze Defrosted Mozzarella Cheese?
Surprisingly, you can refreeze the defrosted mozzarella cheese if you defrost the frozen cheese blocks in the refrigerator. Otherwise, we do not recommend refreezing the mozzarella cheese.
Can You Freeze Mozzarella Cheese Balls?
Though many advise against freezing mozzarella cheese balls, you can freeze them if you take the necessary precautions.
Can You Freeze Mozzarella Cheese Slices?
You can freeze mozzarella cheese slices by wrapping them in cling film and aluminum wrap before placing them in ziplock bags inside the freezer.
Can You Freeze Mozzarella Curd?
Yes. It is possible to freeze mozzarella cheese curd. Please wrap it tightly and freeze it in the freezer.
Can You Freeze Mozzarella Cheese Pearls?
Yes. You can freeze mozzarella cheese pearls similar to mozzarella cheese balls for three months.
Can You Freeze Mozzarella Cheese Sticks?
You can freeze mozzarella cheese sticks by wrapping them well with aluminum foil. Then, place them inside ziplock bags and squeeze out the air before freezing the mozzarella cheese sticks.
Can You Freeze Mozzarella Cheese In Brine?
You can freeze mozzarella cheese after draining the brine. Then, you can wrap them tightly in cling film before placing them inside a thick freezer bag. However, we do not advise freezing the mozzarella cheese in its brine.
Can You Freeze Mozzarella Cheese Shredded?
You can freeze shredded mozzarella cheese the way described here.
Can You Freeze Mozzarella Cheese In Liquid?
We do not recommend freezing mozzarella cheese in its liquid. Instead, we suggest draining the fluid before wrapping the cheese in aluminum foil and freezing it in ziplock bags inside the freezer.
Mozzarella cheese is delicious and forms a crucial ingredient in various recipes. However, mozzarella cheese has a long shelf life. Therefore, you might not need to freeze it. But, you can freeze the mozzarella cheese and preserve it for three to six months.