Scrambled eggs provide the perfect option when looking for a quick and nutritious snack at any time of the day. So, it is perfectly normal to consider storing sufficient eggs at home. But, how do you do it? Can we explore refrigerating, or can you freeze scrambled eggs?
Can You Freeze Scrambled Eggs?
You can freeze scrambled eggs, either raw or cooked, and store them for extended periods.
How Do You Freeze Scrambled Eggs?
First, you decide whether to freeze raw or cooked scrambled eggs because either method can keep the eggs frozen for even a year. Let us discuss both of these methods for your convenience.
Freezing Raw Scrambled Eggs
- Remove the eggshells and crack the eggs in a large bowl for easy scrambling.
- You can use an electric egg beater, a manual beater, whisk, or fork to scramble the eggs.
- We recommend adding one teaspoonful of salt for every cub of scrambled eggs. It prevents the yolk from thickening during the freezing process. Therefore, it eases the thawing process by maintaining its consistency. You can also add seasonings to the scrambled eggs before freezing.
- Transfer the scrambled eggs from the bowl into an airtight container or ziplock freezer bag. It is better to apportion the eggs into consumable sections. Therefore, smaller bags or ice cube trays are better options. If you use the muffin tins or ice cube trays, you flash freeze the scrambled eggs and transfer the partially frozen egg cubes into the freezer bags.
- Labeling the freezer containers is a good habit because it helps you keep track of the freezing process. Then, place the freezer bags inside the freezer and allow the scrambled eggs to freeze.
Freezing Cooked Scrambled Eggs
- Scramble the eggs as detailed above.
- Cook the scrambled eggs depending on your preference, but it is better to allow the eggs to remain runny. It prevents overcooking when you reheat the thawed scrambled eggs.
- Allow the cooked scrambled eggs to cool down to room temperature.
- Transfer them into airtight plastic containers and label them for convenience.
- Place the containers in the freezer, allowing the cooked scrambled eggs to freeze.
Do Eggs Taste Good After Freezing?
Pre-cooked eggs are excellent for freezing. Besides, they taste delicious after reheating. If you accidentally freeze a raw egg, it is suitable for cooking, provided its shell is intact. However, the surface can crack because the fluid inside the egg expands during freezing. Therefore, it is advisable to store eggs without their shells.
Frozen scrambled eggs do not lose their taste after freezing. However, it is better to stop cooking the eggs when they become runny because it prevents overcooking them later. Therefore, they taste as if freshly scrambled.
How Long Can Eggs Last In The Freezer?
Cooked or raw scrambled eggs can last comfortably for one year when frozen. However, we recommend using the eggs within three to six months to enjoy the best results. A lot depends on how you prepare the scrambled eggs. For example, it is better to beat the egg yolk and add salt. Preparing the yolk is crucial, whether freezing it separately or with the whites. Adding salt prevents the yolk from thickening and helps maintain its consistency. Besides, storing scrambled eggs in airtight containers or freezer bags enhances their shelf life.
How Do You Defrost The Frozen Scrambled Eggs?
You can defrost scrambled eggs in multiple ways.
- The ideal place to defrost scrambled eggs is the refrigerator. However, this process consumes considerable time. So, if you decide to have scrambled eggs for breakfast, you should ideally start the thawing process overnight. First, remove the required scrambled eggs from the freezer container and place them in the fridge. The frozen scrambled eggs thaw naturally.
- If time is a constraint, you can expedite the process by submerging the storage container in water at room temperature. Then, you can eat them immediately if required. Alternatively, you can reheat the eggs if you like them hot. It is also possible to refrigerate the thawed scrambled eggs and consume them later.
- Microwaving the frozen scrambled eggs is also a viable option, especially as it allows simultaneously thawing and reheating. However, using a microwave-safe container is advisable. You can heat the frozen scrambled eggs on low/medium microwave settings in 20-second intervals for one minute. Check the progress constantly to prevent overcooking. Once microwaved, the scrambled eggs are warm for consumption. You can also refrigerate and have them subsequently.
Can You Refreeze Scrambled Eggs?
We do not recommend refreezing scrambled eggs. Instead, we suggest keeping the thawed scrambled eggs refrigerated for immediate use. However, It is better to cook or reheat the thawed eggs within one week to enjoy the freshness.
Can You Reheat Scrambled Eggs On An Electric Griddle Or Stovetop?
It is possible to reheat scrambled eggs by setting the electric griddle temperature to low. We suggest transferring the defrosted scrambled eggs to a non-stick skillet or frying fan. Please cover the eggs with a heat-safe lid. You can cook the eggs for three to five minutes to enable the eggs to reach the desired temperature.
Can You Reheat Scrambled Eggs In A Toaster Oven?
You can reheat scrambled eggs in a toaster oven.
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius (around 300 degrees Fahrenheit). Transfer the defrosted scrambled eggs into a shallow oven-safe baking disk.
- You can add butter or cream and other lactose-free alternatives. Covering the dish with an aluminum foil or a lid prevents moisture loss.
- Baking for 10 to 15 minutes allows the scrambled eggs to reach the desired temperature.
Can You Reheat Scrambled Eggs On A Campfire Or A Grill?
It is possible to reheat thawed scrambled eggs on a campfire or a grill.
- We advise wrapping the thawed scrambled eggs in aluminum foil.
- Place the wrapped eggs on the preheated grill or the coals, but never directly on the flames.
- Ten minutes should be sufficient for reheating scrambled eggs. However, you need to exercise care when opening the foil because scrambled eggs can release steam.
Can you freeze scrambled eggs? Of course, you know you can freeze scrambled eggs, either raw or cooked. The freezing process enables you to have scrambled eggs whenever you feel like having them. However, we suggest following the prescribed method to freeze scrambled eggs to enjoy the fulfilling snack at its freshest.